Mapping network drives and other locations is a good way of keeping remote data at hand in your local area network. However, at some point, you might also want to delete some of these mappings and keep only those that you really use on a daily basis. In this article, I'll show you how to delete network share Windows.
1. 1.1 Use Windows/File Explorer to delete a mapped network drive from Windows:- If you need to delete a previously created drive mapping, the first thing you must do is open File Explorer if you use Windows 10 or Windows 8.1, or Windows Explorer if you use Windows 7. Then, on the left side of the window, select This PC if you use Windows 10 or Windows 8.1, and Computer if you use Windows 7.
2. 1.2 Delete a drive mapping:- To delete a drive mapping toward a network location, right-click on it and select Disconnect.
3. 1.3 Remove a drive mapping:- To remove a drive mapping towards a network folder or FTP site, right-click on it and select Delete.
4. 2 Use Command Prompt to delete a mapped network drive from Windows:- One method that works in all modern versions of Windows is to use the Command Prompt. Open it and type: net use drive letter /delete. Then, press Enter. For example, we have a drive mapping using the letter Z, so we have to type: net use Z: /delete.
5. 3.1 Use Windows/File Explorer to remove a network location mapping from your PC by erasing its shortcut:- A network location mapping is actually a shortcut stored as a file on your Windows PC. If you can't delete it using the first method we've shown, you can try others. One of them is to use File/Windows Explorer to delete its shortcut. Open File/Windows Explorer and navigate to "C:\Users\Your_User_Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts." Your_User_Name is the name of your Windows user account.
6. 3.2 If you're using Windows 7, you must also confirm that you want to remove the selected item:- If you're using Windows 7, you must also confirm that you want to remove the selected item(s). If you're using Windows 10 or 8.1, everything is deleted immediately, with no additional confirmation.
7. 4.1 Use the Command Prompt to remove a network location mapping from your PC by erasing its shortcut:- You can also use the Command Prompt to browse your PC and remove a network mapping from it by deleting its shortcut.
8. 4.2 Use the del (Delete) command to remove the shortcut for the network mapping:- Then, use the del (Delete) command to remove the shortcut for the network mapping you no longer want. For instance, if you would like to delete a network mapping named Music, you should run this command: del Music. You are asked to confirm the deletion.
Also consider using Action1 to delete network share if:
- You need to perform this action on multiple (hundreds or even thousands) computers simultaneously.
- Some of your endpoints are laptops not connected to corporate network at all times.