One of the issues was that Windows Update was not working at all on Windows 10 which is not a good thing since these updates are not only necessary, but they are important to keep the system secure. Let us see how to fix Windows Update not working on Windows 10.
1. Solution 1 – Try your hand at using Troubleshooter:- Microsoft’s troubleshooter is a good way of knowing the problem if it is not much complex. It is almost everyone’s first choice whether a newbie or a professional. It rarely solves the problem but it is rather speedy and basic to run that there is no harm in trying it once.
2. Download the Windows Update Diagnostic from the Windows website and run it:- For this purpose, you need to download the Windows Update Diagnostic from the Windows website and run it. This tool will work on its own and will fix any issues if it finds any.
3. Solution 2 – Use System Restore to roll back and uninstall a bad update:- If Windows Update is not working, System Restore might be the best way to fix it. System Restore takes your computer back into the past when it was working fine. It can fix your problem but before anything else you would need to identify when the problem started and what was the real reason behind it.
4. Click on the tab of Update & Security:- Click on the tab of Update & Security.
5. Select Update History:- In this new window, you need to select Update History and find the last successful update installed on your windows.
6. Click Uninstall updates:- After pointing out the origin of the problem now you need to restore your computer right before that event so that it works fine as before that update. Following should be followed to restore your windows.
7. Choose to uninstall any of these updates:- -When you click Uninstall updates, a new window will pop up which shows the new updates that are installed on the PC.
8. Solution 3 – Scan your PC for malware:- Windows Update provides updates that eliminate the effect of these malware hence many of these malware target Windows Update to stop it from working correctly.
9. Solution 4 – Delete all files from SoftwareDistirbution directory:- If Windows Update is not working on your PC, you might be able to solve the problem simply by deleting files from SoftwareDistribution directory. Sometimes files in this directory can become corrupted and that can cause this problem to appear. To fix the issue, you need to delete these files by doing the following:
10. Stop Windows Update service:- When Services window opens, locate Background Intelligent Transfer Service, right click it and choose Stop from the menu. Do the same for Windows Update service.
11. Go to C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution directory:- After disabling these services go to C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution directory.
12. Delete all files in the SoftwareDistribution directory:- Select all files in the SoftwareDistribution directory and click on Delete.
13. Start both Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer Services:- Go back to Services window and start both Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer Services.
14. Solution 5 – Change your DNS. Open Network and Sharing Center:- According to users, sometimes Windows Update is not working due to problems with your DNS. Sometimes your default DNS might have some issues that are preventing you from using Windows Update. To fix this issue, you need to do the following:
15. Click on Change adapter settings:- In the left pane, click on Change adapter settings.
16. Choose Properties:- Locate your network connection, right click it and choose Properties from the menu.
17. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties:- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
18. Select Use the following DNS server addresses and enter 18.104.22.168:- Select Use the following DNS server addresses and enter 22.214.171.124 as Preferred DNS server and 126.96.36.199 as Alternate DNS server. Click OK to save changes.
19. Solution 6 – Install a fresh version of Windows:- If nothing works for you, then it is wise choice to install Windows freshly using Microsoft Windows 10 Install Drive.
Also consider using Action1 when Windows Update not working on Windows 10 if:
- You need to perform this action on multiple (hundreds or even thousands) computers simultaneously.
- Some of your endpoints are laptops not connected to corporate network at all times.