In this article, we will see how to delete a profile for a user account without deleting the account itself. This will allow you to reset all preferences and settings for all apps and Windows for a specific user.
Note: This article doesn't explain how to delete a user account. Instead, we will see how to reset a user account's data by deleting its profile.
1. Press Win + R hotkeys on the keyboard:- Press Win + R hotkeys on the keyboard. The Run dialog will appear on the screen. Type the following into the text box and press Enter:
2. Click on the Settings button:- Advanced System Properties will open. There, click on the Settings button in the User Profiles section.
3. Select the profile of the user account and click the Delete button:- In the User Profiles window, select the profile of the user account and click the Delete button.
4. Confirm the request:- Confirm the request, and the profile of the user account will now be deleted.
5. Delete a user profile in Windows 10 manually. Open File Explorer:- Open File Explorer. Go to the folder C:\Users and look for the user name which you want to delete. The appropriate folder contains everything related to the user profile, so you just need to delete this folder.
6. Open Registry Editor:- Now, open Registry Editor.
7. Go to the following Registry key:- Go to the following Registry key.
8. On the left, go through the subkeys:- On the left, go through the subkeys. For each subkey, look for the value data of the ProfileImagePath string value. Once you find the one which points to the deleted user profile, remove it.
Also consider using Action1 to delete user profile if:
- You need to perform this action on multiple (hundreds or even thousands) computers simultaneously.
- Some of your endpoints are laptops not connected to corporate network at all times.